INFORMATION PAGES

Sunday, June 19, 2011

The Design of "Church"

The idea for this essay began about 20+ years ago! Back then, I asked the question this way, "WHAT is the PURPOSE of the church?" Today, the question remains essentially the same with a little twist. "What is the purpose of the church and what is the best way to accomplish that purpose?"
About now, some of you may be thinking of answers. GOOD!
email them to us at turnthetideministry@live.com
I'm serious, and I'm serious about an answer to this question.

Over the last number of years (20+!)I've attended a few different churches. Some I was visiting as a person off the street, some I visited as a guest Pastor/Evangelist. Some I served in as a layperson, and some I served in as a Staff Pastor. I began to wonder, is "consistency, McDonalds style" really the best way to "do church"? You know what I mean. You go to any McDonalds and even though the service may differ from store to store, the food is consistently the same. Burgers, fries, shakes - all the same. Same meat, same condiments, same buns. That consistency gives a feeling of security about the food we're ordering, no surprises, no differences and that comforts us in some way.

BUT IS THAT THE WAY OUR CHURCHES OUGHT TO PERFORM? IS THAT THE WAY OF THE BODY OF CHRIST?

Those who care to, please think on, chew on, meditate about, pray about and read the Bible about this for a few days. I'll be back with more.

Would you like fries with that burger?

Whatever we do, let's be certain to:

MAKE IT COUNT FOR CHRIST!

2 comments:

bbear said...

Hi Marie! I once saw a T shirt: Don't go to church, BE the Church. Just a few weeks ago I saw a church sign in Mt. Kisco- 'Community Action Sunday. No services that day.' The church was being the church in their community. Just like your Worship Blog, I believe that we can be the church everyday in our everyday lives and in doing so we our Worshipping as well.

Anonymous said...

Some times consistancy becomes very boring .